Thursday, November 13, 2014

NaNoWriMo-Doug

I wrote this little piece here at 1 o'clock this morning.  Mom likes it, I like it, someone else who read it likes it.

Do you like it?

(Scene Set Up: Doug to talking to reporters about a dead body he found)

~~~

“Well, I was walking.  I like to take walks early in the morning.  And, I like to take this path.  It’s quiet, and there’s not a lot of people."

Doug stopped and slowly looked up.  A smile grew across his face.  “It was so weird,” he started, putting a hand on his hip, “I just, I just knew something was up.  I’m kind of an observant person, and I didn’t feel right this morning.”

Doug put his hand down and straitened up, putting a hand on his stomach.  “You know how you get these, I don’t know, feelings?  Like in the pit of your stomach?”

He held out both of his hands, palms towards them.  “Well, as I was walking, I could tell something was off.  I just knew something was up.”  Doug put his hands down and laughed.  “And, I saw the blood marks on the sidewalk.  So, I followed them.”

The reporters looked back to see them.  “Oh, no, they’re gone now.  Someone came and cleaned them up already.”  The reporters looked back at him and nodded.

Doug widened his eyes and pointed to where the body was.  “When I got back there and I saw the body, I was shocked.  I mean, who would do this?  He’s just a kid!”  Doug hung his head.  “Humanity, going to Hell in a hand basket, as my mother would always say.”  Doug looked up and crossed his chest.  “God rest her soul.”

Doug looked back down.  He cleared his throat and changed his expression to one of surprise.  “I went to the street and I yelled for someone to call the police.  I left my phone at home, you see.  I don’t like to take it with me on walks.  This is a time for me to be alone with God.”  Doug folded his hands.  “Looks like He’s the one who needs the credit for me finding this young lad.”  Doug looked up and closed his eyes.  “Thank you.”

He looked back down at the reporters, some looked sorrowful, others as if they were thinking too hard.  They all wrote on their pads of paper.  Doug smiled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment